A great way to connect with the media and with new customers is to share how your organization or product fits with one of the many commemorative or awareness months or days in the calendar. This doesn’t mean creating your own – rather, choose to connect with other organizations on topics where you have different perspectives or highlight the commemorative month or awareness day on your social media and community relations outlets. Which is where I come in – you can download your free printable of General Awareness and Commemorative Days below.
Learning the rhythms of your organization’s media calendar and focusing your attention on a few key times of the year can be a great way of stretching your media budget and achieving momentum with your community reach.
So where do you start?
You can start with my list of over 100 commemorative months or days. This list is General. I have other lists for Health & Wellness (including Food) and Military Related Commemorative Days and Months.
You can download this free printable below!
Once you have the list where to from there?
Here are some ideas!
- Start by figuring out which months of the year connect most strongly with your message (organization or product). Download the printable below!
- Research if there is a movement you can participate in and connect in a way that makes sense for you – be aware of any trademarks or copyright matters that might limit your use of specific logos or awareness ribbons.
- Develop a editorial calendar thinking through all of your social media and web and in person opportunities to connect with supporters, and customers. You could do this yourself, or consult with a communications consultant. Sign up here for a 15 minute free consultation.
- Send out a press release to local media outlets to share planned events and a statement on the day or month and how it connects with your organization!
- Invite local, state, and federal representatives to your events!
- Host an event to connect with supporters.
- Host a symposium or conference with other organizations to address a local problem and highlight both the broader awareness month/day and your organization (or product)!
You can make some great inroads into building awareness of your issue, organization or product through connecting your message with a general awareness or commemorative month or day!
If you run into problems or would rather have someone else develop and execute a campaign for your organization or business, you can always hire me.
Speaker. Reader. Thinker. Writer. Traveler. Advocate
Anna Blanch Rabe, founder of Anna Blanch Rabe & Associates, has been working with Social Enterprises, socially-responsible businesses, educational institutions, and non-profit organizations since 2006 to develop and effectively execute strategic, digital, and narrative initiatives to gain exposure, develop community capacity, attract talent, and reach new customers. Anna is an Australian-born speaker, writer and advocate. Connect with Anna on Academia.edu, Linked In, Instagram, facebook page, & Twitter.